Change of Status
Change of Status
Sometimes people decide to change the purpose of their visit here in the United States. Initially, some of our students have come here as tourists and decide later that they want to pursue their studies or even apply for an F-1 visa status so that their children may be able to study in America. Whatever the reason, we at American English Language School walk with students step by step so that they can successfully complete this process stress free. For one to change their status by replacing their current visa with a student visa, they must be aware of the change of status process.
Step One: Obtain an I-20 form from American English Language School and pay the processing fees
In order to change your status, you first need to obtain an “Initial Attendance” I-20 form from American English Language School. American English Language School can create this once we have received the following:
- Application for admission => Download and send e-mail
- A scan of a valid passport copy or e-mail a photo file.
- A scan of your current visa or send your photo file by e-mail.
- A certificate of bank balance of you or your sponsor (balance must be in English and must be USD 26,400 or more) => e-mail scanned copy or photo file proof of funding for one year of expenses and a valid foreign address.
If you want American English Language School to issue your I-20 form, you must pay the processing fee:
$450 (SEVIS I-901 Fee - $350, OLS Application - $100)
* Payment Method: Wire Transfer or Paypal.
For more information about the SEVIS fee, please refer to the Department of Homeland Security's website on the I-901 SEVIS fee.
Step Two: Submit an application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
· File a Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status,” with USCIS. Not all nonimmigrant classifications may change status. Read the instructions carefully to ensure that your category is eligible.
If there are any other questions that you may have, please contact and American English Language School representative.
Tagged: Language School in Orange County
Published on October 16, 2017A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!