The F1 and F2 Visas

The F1 and F2 Visas

An F1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for students who want to study in the United States. Students who plan to attend any type of academic institution in the U.S. must file an F1 Visa application. It is very important to apply for an F1 Visa as soon as you find the school you wish to attend that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), to make sure that any delays in this process won’t affect your pursuit of a degree, certification, or diploma. There will also be an F1 Visa interview process. Prospective students should be prepared to prove the following items: Official Residency in a Foreign Country and Intentions to Return Home, Admission to an Approved School, Sufficient Financial Support, and Ties to Your Home Country.

 An F2 Visa (dependent visa) is a nonimmigrant visa which allows dependent spouses and children (unmarried, under 21) of F1 student visa holders to enter the United States. To apply for an F2 Visa, you must submit a completed form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. The privileges an F2 Visa holder can enjoy is entering the U.S. along with your spouse or you can join them later, and you can also travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. continuously if you maintain a valid F2 status. An F2 Visa holder may also stay in the U.S. as long as the principal F1 Visa holder maintains a valid status. You lose your status once the principal applicant loses their F1 status.


Published on April 11, 2018

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!