I-20 Form

I-20 Form

The Form I-20 (also known as the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students). Only institutions that are Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified can issue Form I-20’s. Once a prospective student has accepted the institutions offer of admission, the Designated School Official (DSO) will issue a Form I-20 to the student, which will provide supporting information on a student’s F or M status.

An institution can acquire SEVP certification by filing Form I-17 with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (one-time process). All dependents traveling to the United States will also need to file a Form I-20, too. The student must indicate to the DSO that he/she has dependents traveling with them. Once the student receives the Form I-20, they will need this form to apply for a nonimmigrant visa. The Form I-20 may also be used to change their status to an F or M visa classification while attending school in the United States, or applying for benefits available to F and M students.


Published on April 13, 2018

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!