Change of Status

Change of Status

When visiting the United States, sometimes people will want to change their purpose for visiting. Change of status allows visitors to change their nonimmigrant status to another without having to return to their home county. You can apply to change your status if: 

You were lawfully admitted to the United States with a nonimmigrant visa

Your nonimmigrant status remains valid

You have not violated the conditions of your status, and

You have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible 

You must maintain a valid nonimmigrant status while also meeting the requirements for the status you are trying to change to. If you meet the requirements, you need to file a Form I-539 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). When planning to change your visa you need to also make sure that you apply at least 30 days before your visa's expiration date.


Published on October 17, 2019

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!