F-1 Student Visa

F-1 Student Visa

If you want to come to the United States of America to study, you will need an F-1 visa. The F-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows you to come to the U.S. as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or language training program that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

Studying full-time is defined as more than 18 hours a week. After you decide that you want to study in the U.S., you need to decide which school that you want to apply to. At American English Language School in Orange County, California, we can help you with the F-1 visa process. Once you pick your intended school, it is best to start the visa application as soon as possible so you will not encounter any delays that can affect your education. To qualify for an F-1 visa, you will need to prove you intend on returning back to your home country, you are accepted to a school approved by the SEVP, and have sufficient financial support.

If you have spouses or children, you can apply for an F-2 visa. The F-2 visa allows spouses and children of F-1 holders to enter the U.S. at the same time or later. Your children must be unmarried and under 21. They can also travel in and out of the U.S. as long as you maintain your status. Unfortunately, you may not study full time or work while on an F-1 or F-2 visa.


Published on December 26, 2019

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!