Change of Status

Change of Status

Some travelers may enter the U.S. with the intention of visiting but end up wishing to study instead. If you decide that you would like to study English in the U.S., you may return to your home country and apply for an F-1 visa or you may file a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change your status from a B1/B2 visa to an F-1 visa. Keep reading to find more information about what it means to change your status. 

If you would like to stay in the U.S. to enroll in a language school, then you will need to change your visa to an F-1 visa. In order to start the process, you will first need to make sure that you understand the difference between the visas. 

What is a B1/B2 visa?

A B1 visa allows individuals to travel to the U.S. for short business-related trips. A B2 visa also allows individuals to enter the U.S. for short trips. However, the B2 visa is used when traveling for fun or visiting friends and family.  B1 and B2 visa applicants should have no preconceived idea to study in the U.S., or the consular officer may deny their visa application. 

What is an F-1 visa?

An F-1 visa is for individuals who want to travel for the purpose of studying. The F-1 visa duration is longer than a B1/B2, since students may wish to learn for several years. It also has more requirements to stay in good standing, such as studying a certain amount of hours and attending class regularly.  

When preparing to change your status, you will need to determine if you are eligible to apply. To be eligible means that you were lawfully admitted to the United States in an eligible nonimmigrant status, your nonimmigrant status remains valid, you have not violated the conditions of your status, and you have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible. 

If you are considered eligible, then you may continue with the process to change your status. If you are interested in learning more about how to change your status from a B1/B2 visa to an F-1 visa, visit our AELS- Change of Status page or email today!

Tagged: English Language School in LA, English Language School in Los Angeles

Published on August 3, 2022

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!