Most Asked Questions

Most Asked Questions


It may seem a little confusing at first if you are thinking about traveling to the United States to improve your English. There’s some research you will need to do and decisions you will have to make. In order to help you through the process, we are going to answer some of the most common questions that we are asked by students. Keep in mind that every school is different and will have its own policies. These answers are strictly for the policies that American English Language School abides by. 

When can I start? 

Each language school has its different start dates. At American English Language School, you may enroll on the first Monday of each month. 

When do I need to apply? 

You may apply as soon as you have all of your documents ready. After we have received your application and supporting documents, we will issue your I-20 form. However, if you apply earlier than 120 days before your start date, the consulate will not issue your visa until 120 days before your program start date. 

How much money do I need to show on my bank statement? 

The amount needed on your bank statement will depend on how many quarters you are applying for. If you are applying for 1 quarter (12 weeks), you will need a bank statement with an amount of $6,600 or more. If you are applying for 4 quarters (48 weeks), you will need a bank statement with an amount of $26,400 or more. 

Can I use a family member’s bank statement? 

Yes, you may use a family member’s bank statement. Your sponsor will be asked to fill out an additional form. 

Can I work part-time while on my F-1 visa? 

No, students with an F-1 visa are not permitted to work. 

Can I pay my tuition monthly?

Tuition needs to be paid in the full amount by your placement test date. Placement tests are usually held the week before your course start date. 

What is the SEVIS Fee for? 

The I-901 SEVIS Fee is mandated by Congress to supper the program office and automated system that keeps track of students and exchange visitors and ensures they maintain their status while in the United States. You may pay the fee yourself, or you may pay AELS to make the payment on your behalf. 

How will I know my level? 

Before your course start date, you will be scheduled for a placement test that will determine what level of English proficiency you are. Based on your results, we will place you in the appropriate class level. 

What kind of teachers will I have? 

All of our teachers are native English speakers who hold at least a bachelor’s degree in an English-related field and are TESOL certified. Along with their passion for teaching English, they use their knowledge as a native speaker to help our students master the language. 

How do I apply? 

Along with your AELS application, you will need to submit a copy of your current passport, high school diploma, or college transcripts translated into English, and a bank statement within 6 months to 

Still have more questions about attending a language school in Los Angeles or Orange County? Fill out an inquiry form on our website ( or email with your questions.

Tagged: English School in LA, English School in Los Angeles

Published on August 19, 2022

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!