How to Apply for an F-1 Visa

How to Apply for an F-1 Visa

Are you thinking about studying in the United States to improve your English? If you plan to travel to the U.S. to study English, an F-1 visa is required. This visa will allow you to travel to your destination in the U.S. state of your choice and begin your educational journey. So how do you start the process of obtaining an F-1 visa? Keep reading to find the steps to apply. 

First, you should think about the location where you want to begin your studies. After you have selected your desired spot, you will need to consider your school. There are various language schools throughout the U.S. We suggest conducting some research in order to find the school that you think is right for you. 

You must fulfill the school’s requirements to be accepted. Each school will have different requirements, so you should contact the school to find out what is necessary to apply. F-1 visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date. We recommend submitting your documents in advance of the estimated start date of your studies since the entire process may take months to complete. 

After you submit all of the school’s requirements and pay your application fees, you will receive a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) from the school. You and the DSO of the school will need to sign the form. You must pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information (SEVIS) fee after receiving your Form I-20. Use the information from your Form I-20 to pay the fee and provide the other necessary information. 

Next, you will need to fill out the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160). It will require your passport, travel itinerary, national ID number issued by your home country, dates for the last five trips you took to the U.S., employment history, and a photo that meets government requirements. After you submit the DS-160, you can move forward with scheduling your visa interview and pay the interview fee. 

You can find links to our instructional videos below to help you with the process. 

How to fill out the DS-160 form.

How to set up the F-1 visa interview 

If you have more questions about the F-1 visa application process or how to enroll in an ESL course in the Los Angeles or Orange County area, visit our website American English Language School, or email today!

Tagged: English Language School in LA, English Language School in Los Angeles

Published on March 10, 2023

A leading English language school accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Accreditation) and approved by SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) located in Los Angeles, California. Learn English in LA with our ESL classes, TOEFL preparation, and English speaking classes. Are you serious about improving your English? Join a class today!